February 16, 2017
December 23, 2016
November 19, 2016
October 2, 2016
To register for classes, it’s best to email email@example.com
or you may call (760) 942-1756 Payment is due at the class!
Classes held at the
Solana Beach Boys and Girls Club’s Center for a Healthy Lifestyle
533 Lomas Santa Fe Drive * Solana Beach, CA 92075
or at the Encinitas Boys and Girls Club’s Center for a Healthy Lifestyle
1221 Encinitas Blvd. * Encinitas, CA 92024
or at the LA JOLLA COMMUNITY CENTER
6811 La Jolla Blvd., La Jolla, CA 92037
Ciao Italiano Monday, October 10 in Encinitas at 6 pm $54
Grape Infused Vodka Prosecco Cocktails;
Prociutto and Grape-Ricotta Crostini;
Sicilian Chicken Sauté with Tomato, Olives, Golden Raisin and Balsamic Sauce;
Red and White Sauced Lasagna Rolls with Spinach and Prosciutto Cheese Filling;
Braised Pork Tenderloin with Marsala Sauce and Crimini Mushrooms;
Cannoli Cheesecake with Pistachio Crumb Crust and Orange Chocolate Chip Filling.
Comfy Fall Soups Monday, October 17 in Encinitas at 6 pm $49
Or Tuesday, October 18 in La Jolla at 11:30 am $50
Minestrone with Pancetta, White Beans, Cabbage, Spinach and Tomatoes topped
with Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese;
Chicken and Rice Soup with Spinach, Lemon and Dill;
Split Pea Soup with Ham Hocks and Leeks;
Quick Posole with Ancho and Smoked Paprika Rubbed Chicken, Hominy and Avocado;
Apple Sheet Cake with Salted Caramel Frosting.
Stovetop Skillet Suppers Monday, October 24 in Encinitas at 6 pm $52
One-Pan Lasagna with Sausage and 3 Cheeses;
Italian Pork Stew with Mushrooms, Ham and White Beans;
Asian Fish with in Black Bean Ginger Sauce with Jasmine Rice;
Sausage Stuffed Chicken Thighs Braised in Chianti-Tomato Sauce on Wide Noodles;
Tres Leches Mexican Rice Pudding with Cinnamon.
Thursday, November 3 in Encinitas at Noon $32
Coq Au Vin (Flambé Boneless Chicken Breasts in Red Wine Sauce with Bacon,
Mushrooms and Baby Onions);
Crème Fraiche Mashed Potatoes with Chives;
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Dijon Mustard and Fresh Thyme;
Double Ginger Pumpkin Tart with Gingersnap Crust.
Let’s Cook Brunch! Monday, November 7 in Solana Beach at 6 pm $49
Pineapple Upside-Down Pancakes with Brown Sugar Glaze;
Italian Prosciutto Wrapped Indiviual Fontina Cheese and Basil Quiches;
Sausage and Cranberry Strata;
Scrambled Egg, Bacon and Caramelized Onion Herbed Breakfast Pizza;
Cinnamon Roll Breakfast Bread Pudding with Cream Cheese Filling.
Martinis and Hors d’Oeuvres
Tuesday, November 29 in Solana Beach at 6 pm $54
Winter Tangerine Daiquiri; Cranberry Infused Vodka Martinis;
Holiday Cheese Log with Dried Cranberries and Pistachio Nuts;
Butternut Squash, Ricotta and Sage Crostini;
Bacon, Cheddar and Ranch Pastry Puffs;
Chili Sauced Cocktail Meatballs;
Peppermint Cheesecake Brownies.
Holiday Cookies and Desserts Monday, December 5 in Encinitas at 6 pm $52
Holiday Dinner Party Monday, December 12 in Encinitas at 6 pm $54
Cauliflower and Cheddar Soup with Crispy Bacon
Caramelized Apple Salad with Spicy Orange Vinaigrette;
Filet Mignon with Mustard Port Sauce and Red Onion Confit;
Roasted Crimini Mushrooms with Fresh Herbs;
Creamy Mashed Potatoes Swirled with Garlic Spinach;
Decadent Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting.
Phillis Carey’s Classes at The Curious Fork
October, November, December 2016
Classes held at:
512 Via De La Valle #102, Solana Beach, CA 92075
(across from the Del Mar Rack Track/Fairgrounds)
Register online at www.thecuriousfork.com
or call (858) 876-6386
HANDS-ON….THAI CURRIES—RED, GREEN AND YELLOW
Friday, 10/7/16 at 6:30 pm
Thai curries are easy to make at home once you learn how to make the curry paste.
Red, Green and Yellow Curry Pastes;
Green Shrimp Curry with Spinach and Red Peppers;
Panang Chicken Curry with Peanuts and Fresh Basil;
Yellow Pineapple Curry with Tofu, Red Peppers, Snap Peas and Fresh Mint;
Thai Iced Coffee.
WARMING FALL SOUPS
Wednesday, 10/19/16 at 6:30 pm
Butternut Squash Soup with Apples and Bacon;
Tuscan White Bean Soup with Italian Sausage, Tomatoes and Spinach
with Caprese Grilled Cheese with Basil Pesto, Fresh Mozzarella, Tomatoes
and a Parmesan Crust;
Smoked Turkey, Broccoli and Black Bean Soup;
Gluten-Free Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting.
Gluten Free Holiday Appetizers
Friday, November 4
Crispy Prosciutto Cups filled with Basil Pesto Cheese;
Mini Sweet Potato Pancakes with Apple-Bacon Chutney;
Savoy Hot Pepper Jelly Topped Mini-goat Cheesecakes with Pecan Crust;
Pumpkin-Carrot Soup Shooters with Coconut Cream;
California Avocado Pistachio Cheese Wreath.
Holiday Fondues—HANDS ON
Friday, December 2
Baked Queso Fundido with Chipotle Chilies, Sausage and Corn;
Traditional Swiss Fondue with Spinach and Artichoke Hearts;
Pesto Fondue with Fontina, Emmentaler and Romano Cheese;
White Cheddar and Beer Fondue with Smoked Sausage;
Sweet Mocha Chocolate and Butter Rum Dessert Fondues;
September 29, 2016
August 4, 2016
I've paired the sauce with Brined Chicken Breasts. Generally the brining technique is used for meats that lack enough moisture to keep them juicy. This time we're doing it just for texture--silky and smooth. The chicken is good on it's own as well as dunked in the White BBQ Sauce. Enjoy!
BRINED CHICKEN BREASTS WITH ALABAMA WHITE BBQ SAUCE
Serves 6 to 8.
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 T. salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 T. honey
- 1 1/2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 1 /2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 6 to 8 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 T. grapeseed or vegetable oil
1. In a medium bowl, combine the brine ingredients and mix well. Trim the chicken and lightly pound to even out—do not tear. Add the chicken to the brine, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Preheat grill or broiler. Remove chicken from brine and wipe off excess. Brush chicken with oil and grill or broil about 5 minutes per side or until cooked through. Submerge the cooked chicken in the White Sauce, remove and serve with more sauce if desired.
WHITE BBQ SAUCE
Makes 2 cups.
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup apple juice or water
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1 T. Creole mustard or Country Style Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. prepared horseradish
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
Whisk together all ingredients in a medium bowl until blended. Store in the refrigerator up to 1 week.
April 7, 2016
Perfect for those rainy day April showers.
FRENCH ONION SOUP WITH BALSAMIC ONIONS AND THYME
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 6 onions (about 3 pounds), sliced lengthwise
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 T. aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 T. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup dry red wine (Pinot Noir or Merlot)
- 6 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 diagonal slices baguette, toasted and buttered
- 1 cup finely grated Emmentaler or Gruyere cheese
- 2 T. finely grated Parmesan cheese
1. Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and shallots and garlic and sauté until very tender and brown, about 30 minutes. Stir in the garlic and balsamic vinegar; cook another minute to absorb.
2. Add the wine; simmer until reduced to glaze, about 3 minutes. Stir in mustard then beef broth, Worcestershire and thyme; simmer 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. For toasts, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Top baguette toasts with Emmentaler or Gruyere and then Parmesan cheese and bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Float 2 toasts in each bowl of hot soup to serve.